Recently, the rate at which people are going for Lasik eye surgery is beyond expression. In the US, people with myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism, and other eye problems that Lasik can solve are not joking with this surgery. However, as good as Lasik eye surgery is, do you know there are limitations? Some shortcomings may want to push one to opt out. And there are also benefits of doing this surgery.
Therefore, this article aims to expressly explain the meaning, advantages, and disadvantages of Lasik surgery. Please pay attention and shun all distractions. Let us start with the definition of Lasik surgery.
What is lasik eye surgery?
Lasik surgery uses a laser to resolve, reshape, and correct the cornea of the eye whenever there’s a vision problem. So, what happens doing Lasik surgery? There’s a thin cornea flap in the upper layers of the cornea. The flap is lifted. The work of a laser is to reshape the corneal tissue underneath. The essence of doing this is to ensure that light focuses better on the retina. So, when the process is carried out carefully, the corneal flap is restored to its original state. This incredible process remains one of the most used strategies for correcting vision problems.
However, one must not forget the fact that this process requires specialized knowledge in its operation. This implies that a competent Lasik eye Surgeon must be the one to handle your eye if you want to tell a positive story about how this process restores your vision.
Advantages of Lasik eye surgery
- LASIK is quick and safe: Lasik eye surgery is the best to correct some eye problems because it remains the fastest and the safest means of correcting vision. Unlike other means of solving eye problems, Lasik surgery is different. There’s a tendency that one can fully regain and restore one’s sight after this surgery after two weeks. Also, this procedure only takes twenty minutes. It is not a surgery that would take half of the whole day. During this procedure, other eyes problems that may likely show forth in the future can be cleared. Furthermore, one can stay awake while Lasik eye surgery is going on. Isn’t that amazing? And for patients that cannot withstand staying awake, they’ll be given Valium to calm their nerves.
- The result comes quickly: The outcome of undergoing surgery comes out without taking much time. A few hours after LASIK, patients will start feeling the difference. One can resume fully to one’s daily activities after two days. The results don’t take much time as others. People love to undergo LASIK because it is the only means that guarantee quick recovery. If you are diagnosed with an eye problem that needs to be treated via Lasik surgery, you must consider yourself lucky. The chance of returning to your daily activities the third day after the surgery is 100%, except there’s a complication. But once everything is done successfully, you’ll be up in the next forty-eight hours.
- You can live without glasses or contact: You dare not stay without glasses or contacts for a year after other eye surgery. But the case is different with Lasik eye surgery. After the whole process, one can live without glasses or contacts. Some people checked their eyes because they were tired of using glasses. And immediately after the LASIK, the eyeglasses were nowhere to be found. This fact is why LASIK cannot go to extinction.
- Improvement in one’s vision: Lasik eye surgery will bring your vision back to its original state if you are feeling myopia or hyperopia. Research shows that close to 90% of people who have undergone this surgery say something good about it. I was surprised when I saw countless reviews on how Lasik surgery has adjusted and restored people’s eyes. Although, this procedure is not the only means of treating eye problems. But once your doctor tells you that the solution to your eye problem is to undergo this surgery, you should congratulate yourself. After the surgery, your vision will be restored.
- Furthermore, I spoke with a woman that has undergone this process. The woman told me that her vision is just like before she had an issue with her eyes. That’s one thing this surgery will do to you.
Disadvantages of Lasik eye surgery
- Flap problems: Folding back the flap from the eye’s surface during Lasik eye surgery can result in complications. Flap problems can lead to complications like too many tears and infections. The outermost corneal tissue layer may grow abnormally under the flap during the healing process. So, flap problems are occurrences that contribute to the shortcomings of Lasik surgery. That is why one needs to be careful. We discuss the risk and limitations of treating eye problems like myopia with Lasik eye surgery.
- Not everyone is eligible: One of the disadvantages of LASIK is that it is strictly meant for an adult. There are other means to treat eye problems among children and younger adults. People eligible to undergo this surgery are people of 40 years and above.
- There is a slight chance of needing LASIK again: This is one of its shortcomings. Although the prospect of doing it again is slim, we’ve heard about people that underwent LASIK thrice.
Infections may occur after this surgery. However, one can be infected if the process is not done perfectly. But I have seen people getting infections after this process. They had to start another journey of living a good life. So, this is one of the risks of undergoing LASIK.
Dear reader, hopefully, you’ve seen something educative. In this article, we talk about the meaning of LASIK and its advantages and disadvantages of LASIK. Therefore, if you find this article intriguing, you need to share the link to this page with families and friends. Finally, while reading this article, some questions might cross your mind. Please kindly drop questions regarding this topic in the comment box.